Black Forest cake is a delightful combination of rich chocolate cake, fresh whipped cream, and cherries. The flavors come together harmoniously, creating a taste that is both indulgent and balanced.
Chocolate lovers' paradise
If you're a fan of chocolate, Black Forest cake is a must-try. The cake layers are typically made with chocolate and cocoa powder, resulting in a moist and decadent treat. The addition of chocolate shavings or curls on top adds an extra touch of chocolatey goodness.
Black Forest cake is known for its signature cherries. The cherries are often soaked in Kirsch (a cherry liqueur) or syrup, which adds a sweet and tangy flavor. They also provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the chocolate and cream.
Black Forest cake is visually appealing. The cake is usually layered with whipped cream, and the sides are often adorned with chocolate shavings or curls. The bright red cherries on top add a pop of color, making it an attractive dessert for special occasions or celebrations.
Popular and classic dessert
Basic Dark Sponge Cake
In case you can´t purchase premade dark sponge cake, here is the recipe to make it yourself.
2,5 oz cocoa powder
10,5 oz refined flour (maida)
13 oz castor sugar (caster sugar)
0,2 oz baking soda
0,25 oz baking powder
0,35 qt milk
5,3 oz butter
1. Preheat oven at 356°F. Grease an aluminum cake tin and dust with a little flour.
2. Sift refined flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Combine butter and sugar in another bowl.
4. Break eggs in another bowl and set aside.
5. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one-by-one and cream until well blended.
6. Fold in the flour mixture, little by little and beat well. Add milk and beat well until well mixed.
7. Pour the batter in prepared tin, filling 3/4th, tap the tin to level the mixture, place in preheated oven, bake for 40-45 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and cool before cutting.
Original Black Forest Cake Recipe
1 dark sponge cake
2 cups (20 oz.) of sour cherries
3 tablespoons of cherry jam
8 cups (67 fl. oz.) of whipped cream
5 teaspoons of Black Forest “Kirschwasser Schnaps” (40% vol.)
¼ cup (1.8 oz.) chocolate shavings (dark or milk chocolate)
1. Cut the cake across into three even layers.
2. Spread jam on the bottom cake layer, cover it with cherries (except center part of about 1,5 inch).
3. Cover with whipped cream (about ¾ inch thick).
4. Put next layer of cake on top. Sprinkle the “Kirsch wasser Schnaps” evenly on this layer, cover with ¾ inch of whipped cream and place last layer on top.
5. Cover the whole cake with remaining whipped cream and decorate with chocolate shavings.
6. Mark the top of the cake with cake slicer (16 pieces).
7. Put whipped cream in a pastry tube with star decorator tip and squeeze little curls on each piece.
8. Decorate with one cherry on top of curls.